« Home | Guess what?! Guess What?! Guess what?! » | It's our Anniversary » | 101 things about me? » | hmmmm.......... » | so damn clever » | Offers Pour in, US unprepared? » | Ali emailed me that Christopher Williams died. I j... » | "Get er done" » | looters or survivers, you decide » | more Katrina news, why am I not suprised.... » 

Sunday, September 11, 2005 

Alfie

I never saw the original Alfie, but I watched the recent adaptation of it. I loved it, just looking at Jude Laws gorgeous mug was an erotic experience in its own right, watching his exploits was hilarious, and seeing him get his comeuppance in the end all made for a satisfactory watch.

Then....I saw the original Alfie today....I caught t about 15-20 minutes in, and I didn't really plan on watching it, but I'm glad I did. The original makes this years Alfie look like a pile of pretty shit. As poignant and pretty as Jude Law made his scenes, he wishes that he could dream, that one day he could have given a performance on par with Michael Caine. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Caine, (so much not so, that I didn't even realize it was him until after about 15 minutes into the movie.) Original Alfie, made my heart stop in more than one place, had my mouth hanging open in others and Caine was really a despicable bastard as I've ever seen.

At least Jude, even at his worst was not totally uncaring, but Caine on the other hand....Despicable is really the perfect word to describe him....Disgustingly despicable. I'm finding hard to believe that he'll even be able to turn around by the end of the movie. Still watching it....about 10 more minutes to go.

Update: Ok, I thought there was 10 more minutes, the dang movie just ended right there....he doesn't "turn around", he just ends the movie with the "what's it all about" saying and the song comes in and that's it... no real regrets, no moping, no asking for forgiveness.....no neat satisfactory ending.

It leaves you wondering...wondering if he's changed, wondering if he ever got his shit together....and that...That's what makes it a better movie than the new Alfie. New Alfie, once it was over, I don't think I ever thought about it again....Old Alfie....it's going to take a while for me to stop thinking about it....thinking about what kind of man would call a woman an "it", about him walking in the kitchen and seeing the body of his aborted baby, him walking out on his son, despite the fact that he loved him more than he loved anything. Kudos to Michel Caine, Jude may be beautiful, but he's no Caine.

I didn't see any version but you make me wanna see them just to compare.. but uhhhgg @ the aborted baby part. I wonder if I should see that now...

haven't seen the original... but i imagine it must be quite good if someone wanted to remake it.... just to get a reaction from the modern "twenty-somethings".

however, i have seen the jude law ALFIE... and i loved every minute of it. i think i talked about that movie with everybody i seen that day... right down to the cashier at the grocery store. LOL...

Caine's a class act...I don't think I can say that about Mr. Law.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm chase
  • From Georgia by way of Jersey, United States
Who Am I? Start Here...
Email me

More of My Stuff


    The Food Docs (Recipes)
    Pictures of My Life
    Paintings and Art
    Poetry Book:
    Rest in Reason, Move in Passion

    101 Things About Me
    "Starving Artist" Supplies Wishlist
    My Reading List
    My Items for Trade

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from mschase2u. Make your own badge here.

    Locations of visitors to this page

Notable Posts

For Laughs

Interesting


Enter your email address below to subscribe to Strange Days!


powered by Bloglet



A clix a day will give me your vote, and why not? You know you love me :) Just click it, it opens in a new window, close it, and that's it. Pretty simple eh?

Islands in the Stream


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer


Your Personality Profile

You are sexy, powerful, and bold. You're full of passion and energy...Sometimes this passion has a dark side. You feel most alive when you're seducing someone. You never fail to get someone's attention. Quick minded, you're also quick to lose your temper!
Click here to take The World's Shortest Personality Test

Previous posts

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates